Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice needed on 10 month Civil Marriage

Posted by Nomajee 
Advice needed on 10 month Civil Marriage
July 11, 2020 01:27AM
Hi All
I am in a peculiar situation. I have had a civil marriage for 10 months but due to timing issues never had the cultural/ religious wedding so never moved in together. I have never lived with my wife before or after marriage even for a single day. We want to end it now.
What are my options? Annulment or divorce? At first she wanted annulment but nothing in the "Nullity petition" applied to our case so I recommended divorce. Now she and her family is stalling. I am fine with annulment as well as I want to end this asap.
Is she planning something dodgy? What are the worst possible outcomes for me in this case?

Any guidance much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2020 01:33AM by Nomajee.
Re: Advice needed on 10 month Civil Marriage
July 11, 2020 04:28PM
Bearing in mind that you have been married for 10 months the simplest and safest thing to do is to petition for divorce as soon as you have been married for a year. (There is an absolute bar on divorce in the first year of marriage). There are very limited (and strict) grounds for annulment one of which may or may not apply. However, you would be unwise to go for annulment when you can have a straightforward divorce in two months' time. It is very easy to get an annulment wrong and because they are really quite rare you can expect the paperwork for any annulment to be scrutinised much more closely than a divorce petition. For the sale of two months it isn't worth the risk.
July 11, 2020 07:38PM
Hi Terry
Thanks for your response. I am willing to go either way because I want to get out of the relationship asap. What I really want to know, because my wife is delaying I am suspicious that she is upto something. I want to make sure that she cannot claim anything from me. Bearing in mind that she never lived with me and I currently have no assets to my name except my car which I bought one year before the civil marriage. She was insistent on annulment which like you said none of the requirements apply to me. Now that I have agreed to annulment she is delaying it, not even getting in touch with a solicitor.
Any feedback is much appreciated.
July 12, 2020 02:37PM
Like I said, seeking an annulment would almost certainly be a mistake. And if you want to end the marriage there is no reason for you to just wait for your wife.
July 12, 2020 09:04PM
Hi David
Thanks for your reply. Apologies for getting your name wrong. I am most certainly not going to delay and go for divorce like you advised. I have an appointment with a solicitor tomorrow so lets see. I am just concerned that my wife will delay even the divorce. I just dont want any nasty surprises like her asking for maintenence etc. Thanks again for your reply.
July 13, 2020 10:21AM
You don't have any control over what your wife does. You do have control over what you do. Fretting about the former is a mug's game. You just deal with situations if and when they arise rather than speculate about them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login