Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mediation

Posted by Mr Probability 
Mediation
August 23, 2021 07:46PM
I mistakenly thought mediation was £120.

I agreed to do it, paid the £120 and went ahead with my first session. My Ex eventually did her first session, and now we have a date for a joint session.

Having just read the small print, it's £120 per person per hour. It usually takes between 3 to 5 sessions, each of 1 ½ hours duration, apparently.

That's a lot of money.

So, does the pricing sound correct?

Is it worth it, will it look bad when it goes to court if I didn't go ahead with it?

I realise the purpose is to avoid court, but I don't for one moment believe the ex will take it seriously, and come to any agreement. I expect it to go to court.

I realise legal aid is available. I'm working and not on minimum wage. Would that automatically rule me out of legal aid?
What sort of circumstances would mean I was entitled to legal aid?
Re: Mediation
August 24, 2021 11:15AM
That sounds expensive to me if it really is £120 per person per hour. I don't think anyone could criticise you if you told the mediator that it was too expensive to continue. The mediator should be able to tell you whether you are eligible for legal aid or not.
September 29, 2021 09:36PM
It really is.

I've had three sessions and fourth is booked.

I feel like I'm pouring money down the drain.

A quick question if I may, without starting a new topic.

If my ex-wife can't afford to buy me out, and I can afford to buy her out, can she refuse? Can she insist house is sold?
September 30, 2021 11:39AM
>>If my ex-wife can't afford to buy me out, and I can afford to buy her out, can she refuse? Can she insist house is sold?

The answer to this depends upon any things upon which no information is supplied. Not the least of those are the figures - how much the house is worth, what the outstanding mortgage is, the respective incomes and resources of husband and wife, whether there are any dependent children, of what age etc. Figures and facts matter in order to be able to answer a question like this.

On the subject of mediation, it can result in agreement and if it does that can be a lot quicker and less expensive than fighting everything out through solicitors. However, it should become apparent fairly quickly if both are engaging in good faith and whether agreement is likely. If not then it is just a waste of time and money to drag on with it. You have to make an assessment at some point.
September 30, 2021 10:15PM
>
> The answer to this depends upon any things upon
> which no information is supplied. Not the least of
> those are the figures - how much the house is
> worth, what the outstanding mortgage is, the
> respective incomes and resources of husband and
> wife, whether there are any dependent children, of
> what age etc. Figures and facts matter in order to
> be able to answer a question like this.

Let's say the judge split the assets and the house was split 50/50.

She cannot afford to pay me 50% to buy me out. I can afford to pay her 50% but out of spite she doesn't want me to have the house.
Can she insist on selling the house and splitting the proceeds, or can I insist on buying her out?
October 01, 2021 10:41AM
There is no point in 'supposing' anything without the necessary facts. Like I said, the facts and figures are everything in answering a question like this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login