Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Remarriage and spousal maintenance

Posted by atr79gb 
Remarriage and spousal maintenance
February 03, 2021 03:39PM
I'm recently divorced although we have not yet finalised the finances. We have an FDA later this month.

I'm in a new relationship and plan on getting married once the finances on the divorce have been settled. I've been completely honest and open about my relationship status on my Form E.

I have shared care (50/50) of my children. I earn £76K per year and my ex wife doesn't currently work (her own choice) but receives around £1500K in benefits.

I'm concerned about the possibility of spousal maintenance to my ex wife and the strain this might add to my new relationship. The issue I can see is that, as spousal maintenance is deducted pound for pound from UC, it is only worthwhile paying spousal maintenance to my ex wife if it is greater than the £1500K she receives on benefits. This amount seems very large based in the £76K I earn per year.

Do you think the fact that I plan to remarry increased or decreases the possibility of paying spousal maintenance?
Re: Remarriage and spousal maintenance
February 04, 2021 10:51AM
>>Do you think the fact that I plan to remarry increased or decreases the possibility of paying spousal maintenance?

A court will ignore it. It will say that you entered into a new relationship in full knowledge that your obligations to your wife had not been settled. Therefore whoever should suffer by that choice it should not be your wife. The courts can hardly do otherwise because if they did it would drive a coach and horses through divorce law.
Re: Remarriage and spousal maintenance
February 25, 2021 09:07PM
Thank you for the clear advice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login