Separated 22 years Ex lives in Turkey
November 27, 2021 10:26AM
Hi I am wondering if any of you can help.
I met my wife in the army and we separated in 1999. She lives somewhere in Turkey with her new family.
She has no living relatives so i cant ask anyone where she is living etc.
I wish to divorce her but have no clue how to go about it. We had a daughter together but she hasn't seen her or heard from her mother in 15 years since she moved to Turkey. My Daughter told me she had children with her new partner and may even be married in Turkey. Is there a quick and easy way to get this sorted.
Thanks
Re: Separated 22 years Ex lives in Turkey
November 27, 2021 11:54AM
>>Is there a quick and easy way to get this sorted. <<

No. You can have a divorce based on five (or more) years' separation without your wife's consent and regardless of whether she can be found or not. However, in a case where the other spouse cannot be found the court needs to be satisfied that every reasonable effort has been made to locate her, that no method of substituted service would work and therefore that the divorce can proceed without her having been served with the divorce petition.

This additional step is unusual so (a) a court will scrutinise it carefully and (b) it will take time because courts are not quick at the best of times. So a divorce in these circumstances will take as long as any other divorce (and none are quick these days because courts are staffed by civil servants who will not be rushed at the best of times) PLUS there will be the additional time it takes to get a court to agree that the divorce should proceed without your wife knowing about it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login