Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Divorcing after renunciation of UK citizenship

Posted by abdul 
Divorcing after renunciation of UK citizenship
November 19, 2022 07:15PM
Hi there,

I was a UK citizen but now I have renounced my citizenship and permanently live abroad.

My wife a UK citizen still lives in the UK with children below 18 in the house I own and the house is on my name only. The mortgage has been paid off. She doesn't work and never financially contributed to the house purchase, mortgage, bills or living expenses since our marriage over 10 years ago.

I have now initiated a divorce/separation process and want to know the financial implications in this situation? can my wife still get the share in my house and how the children maintenance will work out?Given that I am no more a UK citizen, can UK laws be applicable on me?

Thanks
Re: Divorcing after renunciation of UK citizenship
November 20, 2022 04:45PM
Your wife is a British citizen and lives in the UK. Divorce would therefore properly be subject to UK law. The wife of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai lived in the UK, got her divorce here and the UK courts decided the terms of the divorce settlement. I am pretty sure the Sheikh wasn't a British citizen either.

I suppose the sub text of your post is whether your wife can make a claim upon the house now that you are no longer a British citizen. Yes, she can and almost certainly will. The house doesn't have a nationality but it is located in the UK and subject to UK law.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login