Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Financial advice after divorce

Posted by MisalignedHalo 
Financial advice after divorce
September 03, 2021 09:20AM
I will try to keep as brief as possible and hope that I can get some advice for the situation I am in.

I separated from my ex husband in early 2014 after 7 yrs of marriage. Throughout he was an alcoholic and did not work a day we were together. We lived in a council property and had no children. I worked and paid the rent etc. We had no assets when we separated. I stayed in the property and he was given a flat by the local council.

For some considerable time he harassed me. Daily, social media posts would be put up about me or my family to the point that the police were involved on a number of occasions and eventually arrested him but did not charge him. My only way out and to get away from him was to move away. I moved over 100miles from my friends and family just to be free of him and to start over. 3yrs ago I bought a property with my new partner using the help to buy scheme. I used my redundancy from my job as a deposit for our home and my partner contributed half.

Last year after 7 yrs I finally divorced him. I did not do it sooner as he always vowed to fight it and I couldn't afford the expense if it dragged on. I did this alone through the government website and did not seek costs from him.

In my own naivety I did not seek a clean break order as I assumed as we had no home, assets or children we would not need it. Since the divorce he is now claiming I have some tools and a tea set belonging to him which I have never had, I made a point of giving all his belongings back as I did not want him contacting me. I have appointed a solicitor and we continue to go back and forth to the cost of £800 so far. I am slowly running out of money to keep fighting this and now he wants me to enter into financial disclosure and threatening me with court.

I am petrified he can have a claim against my home and any future assets. My pension is probably worth £5000 at the most. I want to start my own business and better myself but am holding back because of this.
Recently he has found out where I live and is now sending letters directly to my home address.
I am in pieces, I had a breakdown yrs ago because of the harassment, hence why I moved away and now find myself spiralling downwards again in fear of the harassment and abuse starting again especially now he has tracked me down. The online abuse has already started again...one quote he has put on recently states "if I were italian, my ex wife would be buried under a ton of concrete by now" I find myself looking out of my window constantly as I am paranoid he is there watching me.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated
Re: Financial advice after divorce
September 03, 2021 11:33AM
Unless and until he makes a court application to recover his tools and tea set you can ignore him by just sending one final letter saying, 'So far as I am aware you have no reasonable claim upon me so I am going to ignore any further correspondence from you.' If he continues to harass you inform the police.

Bearing in mind your circumstances when you separated and that he has a place of his own to live I doubt that he has any real claim. Certainly no solicitor would advise him to make a court application about some tools and a tea set.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login