Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ex Misleading Court and Now Refusing to Co-operate

Posted by Dave Rave 
Ex Misleading Court and Now Refusing to Co-operate
February 01, 2021 06:24PM
Hi everyone, I have had a hearing but ex couldn't show where a lot of money had gone, had submitted misleading wage slips, hadn't submitted statements from some bank accounts, hadn't declared she had set-up home renting with a new guy, then claimed he only rented a room from her, then she altered her rental agreement to remove his name etc. Ex claims she doesn't know how much her car cost or how it was paid for or where the funds came from etc.

The court ordered that she provided more bank statements etc but the deadline passed months ago and neither her or her solicitor are responding to my solicitor.

I have a new court date. What is likely to happen under such circumstances?
Re: Ex Misleading Court and Now Refusing to Co-operate
February 01, 2021 06:26PM
You have a solicitor. You should be asking your solicitor these questions and whether anything should be done about it. Your solicitor obviously knows much more of the background to all this than anyone here.
February 01, 2021 06:38PM
My solicitor has applied to court for direction. I wondered what tends to happen in these sort of situations?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2021 07:06PM by Dave Rave.
February 02, 2021 10:44AM
Like I said, the best person to answer this is your solicitor. You are paying for his/her advice after all.
February 02, 2021 02:38PM
Solicitor isn't very forthcoming and I am running out of money so would be good to have some idea. I have also searched online but not found anything relevant.
February 02, 2021 05:41PM
It is not surprising you have not found anything relevant. These are circumstances individual to you as are the directions your solicitor is seeking on your behalf. If such an application has been made the application will SAY what directions the court is being asked to make.
February 03, 2021 03:21PM
Thanks. Solicitor hasn't supplied me with a copy of the directions being asked for but my understanding is that it's just a case of lodging that the other person isn't cooperating.

In general terms it surely isn't unique to get to a final hearing whereby an ex has been caught providing misleading info and then stopped co-operating with the court order to provide more info.

What can a court do if the person hasn't supplied the info (banks statements, pension value, rental agreement etc) ordered by the judge?
February 04, 2021 10:53AM
>>What can a court do if the person hasn't supplied the info (banks statements, pension value, rental agreement etc) ordered by the judge?

It can order them to do so and attach a notice pointing out that refusal to comply may be a contempt of court. If the recipient still does not comply after attachment of such a notice then proceedings can be taken to commit that person to prison for contempt.
July 20, 2021 11:43AM
I thought I'd give an update... An Enforcement was issued against Ex to provide bank statements etc by X date. She has again failed to do so.

My solicitor says that when it gets to the final hearing I could ask the judge to accept my statement saying how much ex has hidden as ex is failing to show otherwise. Am I better to do this or go back to court for breach of the enforcement?
July 21, 2021 07:05PM
It really very much depends upon the exact wording of the order made against your ex. The exact words of a court order matter. Because a person does not do X that does not prove Y. However, an order which says something like, 'and in default the court may make findings of fact based upon the evidence of A' would be a stronger foundation. There is an obvious risk that a court may say, 'well, you knew she was in default but you did not bring the matter back before the court'. The wording of the existing order is everything.
July 23, 2021 03:58AM
We were able to show that ex had recieved x amount of money and an order was made for her to provide statements to show where that money has gone. She didn't do so, an enforcement was then made and not met. Therefore we could say she must still have that money as she's failed to show where it went.

However, there's a lot more than that x amount hidden so as you suggest, I will check the exact wording. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login